Thursday 14 April 2011

Environment

Here is the environment which I created for use the scene with car driving to the ice palace. The main purpose if this object is to fill the frame and act as action environment. I decided not to spent too much time on making it. The first idea that came to my head was to create the plane and apply noise to it. And it is exactly what i did. First created a plane with 150x150 length segments and converted it to editable poly. there i selected a group of polygons which were suppose to have biggest noise effect. Then i applied noise modifier. Having the certain polygons selected allowed to apply noise effect only on those polygons. Satisfactory results was achieved by changing noise parameters. Than i repeated this process two more times. Each time selecting more polygons and distorting them slightly less. Finally i applied the meshsmooth which made the plane smoother and made it look more like mountains and bumps. Then I applied the snow material from my previously created ice palace and it was finished.
However, I can say that I would not use this approach in the future. The control that I had in creating mountains was very little. It would have taken too much time to make couple of bigger mountains that would vary in size as I would have to selected and apply more noise and editable poly modifiers. I would better use soft selection to create unique mountain shapes and therefore, have more control over their look. Then I probably would not have to use meshsmooth modifier, which increase polygon amount that leads to slow down of program, as mountais would already be smoother.





No comments:

Post a Comment